Thursday, June 28, 2007

Why does it have to be hokey?

Hi. Welcome to my blog which has been started as a Library 2.0 project at my work, http://www.owensound.library.on.ca/. I chose the title from a poem that I wrote many years ago which had the refrain: Catch the 9 o'clock rainbow and we'll steal clouds from the sky. I told my wife my blog's name and she said "Why can't it be called Tim's Blog? Why does it have to be so hokey?"

And I guess the answer is that I am trying to present many facets of myself in this blog (and one of those facets, unfortunately, is hokiness!) It is interesting that writing a blog encourages one to strive for honesty. The knowledge that others can read one's musings makes one more self-aware.

Recently, the library celebrated the city of Owen Sound's 150th anniversary by establishing a Poet Laureate. Then the library held a poetry night and I considered participating. I went home and dug out my past creative efforts. I quickly knew that none of poetry was appropriate for today. I looked over the dates and realized that once upon a time (twenty years ago) I was a very different person than I am today. I realized that the poetry was not reflective of my current voice. And I found myself reminiscing about the person, the situations that had occurred. So it seems that my poetry is not for current public consumption. Though it might be interesting to post some here on this blog as a view back in time.

Speaking of time travel.... I highly recommend the Time Traveler's Wife. It is a haunting book. You can find information about this book by using the Library's iBistro search engine . (Or you can search for other books that interest you.)
Thanks for stopping by...
Cheers - Tim

No comments: